Free The Girls (“FTG”) partners with safe houses and after-care facilities in developing countries to provide an opportunity for women rescued from sex trafficking to earn a living selling second-hand clothing while going to school, getting healthy, and caring for their families. Selling bras (yes, BRAS!) allows them to work as much or as little as their school schedule permits. The women in FTG’s program receive their starting inventory as a donation, and are then able to buy additional inventory from Free The Girls for below wholesale value to help maintain their competitive edge in the marketplace. Revenue from inventory sales helps subsidize overseas program costs.
Why bras? Let’s face it, ladies: the back of your underwear drawer is most likely a graveyard of bras you don’t wear anymore or that never fit right in the first place. By contrast, second-hand clothing is a profitable market in many countries around the world. Bras are sought after items. Some of the girls in our program are making 5x the minimum wage in their community by selling bras! And even better, bras provide an opportunity for these women to work with other women, since they have a history of being abused and used by men.
Five Ways to Get Involved Today:
- Send FTG a gently used bra or two (Ask friends, family, or coworkers to donate bras, too!)
- Host a bra drive or fundraiser in your community
- Become a financial supporter
- Ask a local retailer to become a bra drop-off location
- Help connect FTG with corporations, foundations, churches and service organizations who believe in the cause and can help fund our growth